Skip to main content

The New Graduate Job Search - Part II

A random encounter with a student on the street outside my office inspired this one.

After usual greetings, the conversation went something like this:

Student: I have a job offer on a med-surg floor at the hospital where I've been voluteering.

Me: Great!  That's fantastic.

Student: Yeah, but I'm not sure I want to take it.

[Inside my head, there are two scenarios going on:

Scene 1 - Twenty something me who had a job offer in a market similar to this one yet turned it down, went elsewhere, then spent 8 months looking for a staff nursing job wants to say: "Dude, don't do it.  TAKE the JOB!"  Now, I have no regrets about my past choice but it would have made some things easier in the long run, like my student loans would be closer to being paid off...

Scene 2 - Echoing in my ears are howls of dozens of other students who graduated in December and have spent months looking for work.  They'd love to be in the same position.]

[Back to the street]

Me: So why don't you want to take it?

Student: Well, I really want to do anesthesia so I want to get into ICU right away.  Plus my mom's really good friend is an ICU manager at a public hospital here in the city so I think I might want to hold out and see what she can get me.

[Note for non-nurses: To become a nurse anesthetist, candidates are required to complete two years of work in an ICU before they can enter the masters (now sometimes clinical doctorate) program.] 

Me: I can see how you'd like to get into ICU right away, but are you willing to wait six months for an ICU job?  You could start working on the med-surg floor as soon as you pass the boards.  With six months of med-surg experience, you're a heck of a lot more marketable for any ICU position when compared to a fresh new grad.

Student: Yeah?  Well, still, I dunno.  I really think I want to hold out and go right in to ICU, see what my mom's friend can get me.

Me: OK, think about it.  Do you really want to work for your mom's friend?  I mean, think about what it would be like if you messed up.  Or would you even feel like you had room to make a mistake because of the relationship between your mom and your potential future boss?

Student: Oh.  I didn't really think about it that way.  So, taking the med-surg job would be better you think?

Me: If I was you, I'd take it.  You'll get to your goal a lot faster than if you wait for a new grad ICU position in the city.

Student: OK, I'll think about it.

Main message here: If you are a new graduate nurse with a job offer thanks to hours you put in as a volunteer, TAKE IT!  You will reach your future goals, especially if they involve graduate school sooner rather than later, faster if you do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Choose the Right Nursing PhD Program for You - Part 1: The Right Program

Congratulations! You've decided to take your career to another level and pursue a research degree. I can assure you that you've not lost your mind (however, you can email me during years 1 and 2 when you're sure you've lost your mind and I'll give you a pep talk), you've just probably come up with more questions that you cannot find answers for in the existing evidence. Even though your undergraduate self that probably did not like your introduction to research course is in shock at the moment, you've made a good choice. So at this moment you're trying to figure out where to go to study. Here's how you should choose.  This is the first post in a series getting published in the Fall of 2015. Do you see yourself doing research just about all the time or maybe part of the time? Just about all of the time = You need to choose a top 25 graduate school that is designated as a Research I university. Most of your time will be spent doing research and l

Is it time to get your PhD in Nursing or Midwifery?

 Over the years, I've written a lot about pursuing a PhD in nursing and I'm including midwives because we need more PhD prepared midwives too.  Getting a PhD is a great way to address the problems you've seen on the frontlines of COVID-19, another way to address the social injustices of racism and discrimination on health outcomes, and to make your voice heard by the decision-makers. A third of the 1% of nurses with PhDs will retire in the next five years so we need people to take their place. We cannot lose our voices in all the places where nurses and midwives with PhDs work. Here's a compilation of the posts I've written about getting a PhD and the things to think about as you figure out where you want to apply. PhD or DNP?   This is where many people start when trying to decide on their doctoral-level career advancement. This post has my two cents on the topic. Should you work as a nurse before getting a PhD?   There's a lot of opinions out there on this sub

Fantastic Passionate Nurse Story

OK nurse friends and colleagues, can you find your passion and have a greater impact than you already do? Go for it!   See this story for an example of how to get started.   Passionate nurses at every level, from the front lines everywhere to management and academia are what attracts people to our profession and taking advantage of the many career options available to nurses in the United States and many other countries.

Translate