Here's what I'm hearing from former students since graduation season:
- Most students have a job within 5 months of passing NCLEX with interviews often coming before the exam is taken. This is a big change and may reflect what's going on with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. Obamacare).
- New York, Philadephia, Boston, and San Francisco remain the toughest job markets for inexperienced nurses.
- Jobs are readily available in the US South, Midwest, and Southwest. Most students who have gotten a job in 3 months or less have moved to one of those areas of the country. Message: You might need to move to get that first job.
- Willingness to move may mean you're more likely to get a job in an ICU or specialty area of choice.
- Rural areas remain a great place to get your initial experience and get a job quickly.
Based on what I'm hearing, the US nursing job market is improving!